As an Educational Institution of BABEL Group
BABEL UNIVERSITY was founded by BABEL.Co.Ltd in 1974 as a Japanese education institution specialising in translation. We BABEL Group offer an online translation graduate course leading to the Master of Science in Translation (MST) at the "BABEL University Professional School of Translation" in 2000 in U.S.A. as well as elective on-campus/distance learning courses at the "School for Basic Studies" in Japan . In Japan We also run courses/programs such as "Certified Administrative Professional Prep Course", "Legal English In-House Training Program", and "Learning the Anglo-American Law, Transnational Legal Program".
As part of BABEL Group, we have translation service by "BABEL TransMedia Center (TMC)", staffing agency by "BABEL Staff Co.", Co publication (Co-pub) and educational publication by "BABEL Press", and Literary Agent for translated publication by "Books and Rights Marketplace".
>>Babel Group History (Babel GroupBusiness Overview)
The mission of the Babel University Professional School of Translation is to educate and train students in translation knowledge and skills by providing a quality distance education program to students so as to contribute to the globalization of the world.
In order to achieve the mission stated above, Babel University Professional School of Translation aims at the following goals through distance learning:
- To have its students master sufficient translation skills;
- To have its students obtain the latest knowledge of translation;
- To have its students familiarize themselves with the latest theories of translation;
- To have its students acquire skills of manipulating information technology hardware and software for translation;
- To have its students become independent as translators; and
- To have its professors, instructors, and students promote research and studies on translation in both academic and practical aspects.
In order to accomplish the goals stated above, the Babel University Professional School of Translation provides its students the following knowledge and skills of translation through distance learning:
- Essential knowledge required for professional translators who have studied foreign languages at a college or a university in the abilities of (a) language conversion, (b) inter-cultural understandings, and (c) expertise;
- Training that will enable the students to acquire high levels of skills in the areas required for professional translators, of (a) accurate and precise understanding of the source language, (b) efficient and prompt language conversion, and (c) fast and precise writing in the target language;
- Training that will enable the students to acquire high levels of skills in the areas required for modern professional translators, of (a) the ability to operate a computer, (b) the ability to utilize the Internet, and (c) the ability to conduct multi-lingual web searches;
- Opportunities to gain sufficient levels of expertise in (a) coordination, (b) collaboration, and (c) management of translation works to execute collaborative translation projects;
- Opportunities to gain sufficient levels of expertise in management of the translation business; and
- Continuing education opportunities to practice as professional translators who provide society with their services.
(Revised on June 30, 2012)
〜Defying the stereotype: translation as a science 〜
Holding an MST in translation business is equivalent to holding an MBA in translation business.
>>For details click here
The BABEL UNIVERSITY Professional School of Translation has been accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) since 2002. Established in 1926 and headquartered in Washington D.C., DETC is a non-profit organization working to promote conscientious education and business ethics, while setting educational standards for the distance education industry. DETC Accrediting Commission is listed by the US Department of Education as a "nationally recognized accrediting agency" and is also a charter member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
1601 18th Street, N.W., Suite 2 Washington, D.C. 20009
Name of Institution: Babel University Professional School of Translation
Address: Pacific Business News Bldg.♯208, 1833 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815, U.S.A.
Chancellor: Miyoko Yuasa
CEO/President: Tomoki Hotta
Year Founded: January 2000
First Accredited: January 2002
Second Accredited: January 2007
BABEL University offers a two-year master program in the following four majors.
Major 1： Master of Science in Literary Translation
Major 2： Master of Science in Finance and IR Translation
Major 3： Master of Science in Patent, Technical and Medical Translation
Major 4： Master of Science in International Paralegal and Legal Translation
*Language:(English to Japanese, Japanese to English)
Students who complete the required credits（36 credits） and pass the master's thesis or graduation project will be granted a master's degree MST（Master of Science in Translation）according to their major.
Program Tuition/Cost per credit hour:
Admission Fee: US$2,000 / Tuition Fee Total: US$20,000 (Cost per credit hour: US$555/credit)
>>For details click here
Akio Kobayashi (Dr., English Literature)
First Major - Literary Arts Translation Major
Takashi Kosaka ( MA., Cross-cultural Communication)
Second Major - Finance & IR Translation Major
Takanari Tajiri ( Dr., Transpersonal Psychology )
Third Major - Patent, Technical and Medical Translation Major
Yoshiharu Ishida, Head of Deans (BA., Legal Communication)
Fourth Major - International Paralegal & Legal Translation Major
Chancellor: Miyoko Yuasa
Vice Chancellor: Tomoki Hotta
General Counsel: Yoshiharu Ishida
Director of Administration: Miyoko Yuasa
Educational Director: Tomoki Hotta
Advertisement & Publishing Manager: Masahiro Watanabe
Student Service Manager: Yuji Tateno
eTrans Technology Institute Manager: Seiichi Komuro
Alumni Service Manager: Takanari Tajiri
10：00am - 18:00pm Monday through Friday
We are closed on:
New Year's Day: January 1
Martin Luther King Day: third Monday in January
Presidents Day: third Monday in February
Good Friday: April 10
Memorial Day: last Monday in May
Independence Day: July 4
Labour Day: first Monday in September
Columbus Day: October 12
Veterans Day: November 11
Thanksgiving Day: forth Thursday in November
Christmas Day: December 25
Course Completion Rates: 88.2% (Average Rate)
Program Completion Rates: 83.3% (Master of Degree Program)
Percentage of students surveyed who responded that they ---
Achieved their learning goals: 98%
Would recommend the institution to a friend: 97%
Were satisfied with their studies: 98%
95% of graduates are working as in-house translators or freelance translators.
※Time Frame of Survey: 1/1/2012 - 12/31/2012
Babel University Professional School of Translation
Pacific Business News Bldg.♯208, 1833 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815, U.S.A.
2-13-18 Kichijyoji Minamicho, Musashino-shi, Tokyo 180-0003, JAPAN
1-20-19 Higashinakajima, Higashiyodogawaku,Osaka-shi, Osaka 533-0033, JAPAN